Friday, February 6, 2009

Favorite Friday Finds (part 2)

I don't know where to begin, I am so excited about today's FFF! As most of my regular readers know, I am a crafter of all trades. I dabble in just about anything that I can, as long as I have to do most of the making myself. (but all that is for a whole other post...maybe sometime soon my crafties!) I have been, for about 2 years now, knitting. If I had to rate myself on proficiency, I would lay somewhere around advanced beginner. There are 2 things about knitting that REALLY make me apprehensive: 1 is dpns (or in non-knitter terms..double pointed needles), I would love to be able to knit socks and smaller items...but I am literally chicken to try it. 2 is, or I should say "are" cables...now cables I have actually tried (that project got buried somewhere...truly buried I am ashamed to say I threw it in the trash, so it is sitting in piles of landfill somewhere.)

Needless to say, I can knit just about anything with a pattern or that I can look at, as long as the good old dpns or cables are not required. Thus, my utter shock and amazement when I stumbled upon a website that changed my outlook on knitting. I wasn't even searching for anything knitting at the time, it just showed up on a blog roll for one of my favorite bloggers when I was reading about a valentine's post. I saw the word "sock" in the title, and immediately right clicked on it to open in a new tab.

So, after about a half-hour later, I finished reading and taking notes on what I was currently perusing. I closed out that tab, and up popped this site page... The Knitting Zone. Go ahead, go looksie, then come back.

(drumming fingers on desk and waiting....ha ha ha!)

Welcome back! Did you see it? The tutorial for knitting with 2 circular needles, not to mention being able to knit both socks at one time! HOORAY! If I could move around easily, I would be jumping and dancing, and shakin my bootayyyyy! Using 2 circular knitting needles to do 2 socks is ingenious, and whoever came up with it I would like to hug. I know that there are long-time knitters reading this laughing at me and my "late" blooming, but all I can say is, "Laugh On My Knittas!" I am thrilled beyond words.

Mary Moran, of The Knitting Zone, has all kinds of goodies for helping out people like me. I don't know if you saw it, but she created software for Excel called Sockcalc. Its really a spreadsheet, but it helps for knitting socks, and how to come up with the measurements. LOOOOOVVVEE IT!! Its on that page, or you can go here to get it.

And as I lurked around the website, I found something else that blew my mind, a pattern for a Christmas stocking. Not just ANY pattern, this one was designed and written by Gabrielle, a 12 year old girl! Props to you girl, I am 33 yrs old, and I am no where near being able to write sock patterns.

So, that's it...well, all of it. This Favorite Friday Find has a lot of info about me, and my incapacity to knit socks (until now). And linkies to a wonderful website, that will be one of my favorites for many years to come! I hope some of you are inspired to try knitting socks, cause I sure am.

toodles....Sandi

There were free (which is always a good thing) sock patterns,

No comments: